Wednesday, July 10

get my cape on

We had a sweet 4th of July.  Burgers on the grill, all that.  Dustin has become a master burger-mixer, I think.  One of my favorite parts was using paper products and not having to do dishes.  Seth helped make a strawberry pie.  It tastes just like the ones at Gray's in Indiana, so I'm told - I always ate apple pie there, so I don't really know.  But it was yummy.  Adam thinks that his apron is a cape, and he thinks it is only for cooking.
"Adam, do you want to help make _____?"
<scampers to kitchen> "Yes!  Get my cape on!"

Dustin rigged up a child-pulling system for the little waffle block toy and big surprise, S&P put Adam right to work for them.  Noah liked the corn - and a hamburger, watermelon, potato chips, & strawberries from the pie.  Dustin probably also gave him whipped cream while I wasn't watching.  This boy is a serious eater.  He still kicks his feet when he's happy (he has done that since infancy), and it's sweet to watch him grab a piece of watermelon from his tray, kick, kick, kick.  Steel cut oats for breakfast?  Kick, kick, kick.  He also bonded with a grapefruit during an impromptu game of grapefruit bowling in the kitchen (my mom was unimpressed).  Wild blackberries are growing one neighborhood over from my parents and I turned some into beautiful blackberry-raspberry-peach jam.  The ratio of blackberry to raspberry was 4 to 1, but it is this amazing purple-red.  Yes, I still rhapsodize over jam tints each year.  There are gobs more blackberries to pick (probably for another few weeks, unless all the neighbors realize it!) and we're planning to pick blueberries this weekend.  You know me, always happy in a berry patch!

No comments: